Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing

"Lines of Bamboo, See What You Do To Me..."

Bamboo by Elder Island is one of my ultimate 'becoming a Software Engineer songs'. (I prefer the original, but here is a great live version.)

There's a story behind this. I met a man named Mark. He was an SWE approaching retirement - he was down in my hometown with his wife, visiting. I won't go into the context of how we met, but it was a miracle. It was a complete miracle. It was just meant to be. We chatted for at least two hours and at the end of the conversation he said to me "All the best of luck with your new career". I couldn't believe what he'd just said - I hadn't even committed to it yet! A few weeks later, I did, though.

After I walked out of that cafe where I had been sitting and talking to Mark and his wife though, I felt like - even though I didn't "feel ready" yet - Mark had predicted something that I didn't yet know. 

Looking back, I can see that maybe he could see that I had the potential to be a really good future engineer - just based on the conversation we had had. If so then that is the biggest compliment in the world, and I am extremely flattered.

After I had finished my conversation with Mark, I felt elated. I had only just discovered that 'Bamboo' song properly that day, and yet after that life-changing, memorable conversation with Mark, that song took on a whole new meaning for me and a new context.

"I want to feel that thrill of the night,
Feel the stillness stripped from the light,
Oh, dreams of dust crumble'. 

I honestly ran or skipped around my hometown in that September/October evening singing along to that chorus again and again. (Even if it doesn't sound that positive on paper, give it a listen, and SEE if you don't get inspired!).

The other one is 'Yosemite' by Lana del Rey - it always reminds me of my sense of purpose with being an SWE. I'm doing it for the whole, right? I'm doing it for the good of everybody.

I just don't know what that collective good is yet or where it will come from - but I know that it's coming! 💓

Sometimes it's hard to keep going

Sometimes it's hard to keep going. 

When there aren't enough hours in the day. 

When there's so much to do in Product. But most of all, the hardest part, is keeping the faith (Remember the Lady Gaga quote from the other day: 'Every heartbreak makes it hard to keep the faith"). I have to keep reminding myself why I am doing these things. 

I think my brain might be full,

I had planned to do some CSS revision today. But I don't think I can handle it right now.

I have been struggling with the auto element.

I have just discovered the min-height, max-height, min-width, and max-width elements. 

I have to admit that I am very confused by them. 

I don't know what they do and I don't understand it.

I also just want to type out margin shorthand for myself again:

You can do margin-top, margin-left, margin-bottom, and margin-right.

Or you can do: 4 values (top, right, bottom, left), 3 values(top, l+r, bottom), or 2 values (t+b, l+r).

Finally the auto element is stressing me out too.

When I get sad, I stop being sad, and I look at the Offshore Wind Farms instead

I once gave a presentation to the whole company and presented this as my motto.

WE HAVE MOVED INTO A NEW OFFICE TODAY AND I CAN SEE THEM AGAIN!

Here are the wind farms


I think I just need a break from it all.

How do I find a way to keep on going, to keep on progressing, to keep on getting on with it all?

Comments

  1. I think when learning something it's okay to take a step back, sleep on it and then come at it with a refreshed perspective. Forcing yourself to understand something doesn't really work all that well in my opinion. Perhaps even take a step back and review where you were a few weeks ago and how far you've come in a short term. Recognise that and celebrate it. You're surrounded by people with decades of experience. Unfortunately it takes time to develop the knowledge but don't be hard on yourself. You're going in the right direction and as long as you stay that way, sometimes walking instead of running still means you'll get to where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam, Thank you for your very very kind, caring and beautifully worded response.
    I see, maybe it is time to take a step back. I am going on holiday for over two weeks in a bit and only have two working days left before I go. So maybe I can use that time a bit more and maybe make a couple of blog posts deflecting more on how far I have come and be what I learned. Maybe even try and celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *reflecting, not deflecting!!! Also I have an idea for a project which I am SO excited to build. Let me see when I can build it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if I can support you and/or your project in any way.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much that is so lovely and reassuring.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite