Over and Over, Honey

Over and Over, Honey

You might remember my "Crimson and Clover, Honey" post from a month back. This was the day that I came back to learning JavaScript. This was the day that I CAME BACK. To REALLY LEARNING JAVASCRIPT. So "Over and Over Honey" is the rhyme to the song that I love after about 8 repetitions of "Crimson and Clover, Honey". So, so beautiful. I love that song. 

So much healing power in it. So, so much healing potential to it. 

ANYWAY so today's title isn't just a (yet another) tribute to Lana del Rey.

I had an amazing chat with an AMAZING, extremely experience Software Engineer called Matt today.

We share the same co-working space and he responded to one of my calls for help before Christmas. 😂
So around lunchtime today, we finally met up. 

And here's one of the most important things that he told me:

"A function is a reusable block of code". Sometimes, it's good to hear things again and again - and in simple terms.

But then he also repeated himself again: he said something along the lines of: 

"Functions can be used OVER AND OVER".

So naturally, one of my favourite songs of all time popped into my head.

Other notes from Matt

We went went over the Maths.Random built-in object a lot; that was good. We also went over Math.Floor and how assigning the numbers 0,1, and 2 would lead to 3 cases (i.e. for RPS).

He also gave me this really amazing quote: 

"The basis of the if statement is that you're always trying to get a true or false value".

Rock, Paper, Scissors

I meant to build my Rock, Paper, Scissors project today but life had other plans. I have a lot of work going on and today has been a particularly busy day.

A few notes I would like to make on the project though:
  • It is really really helpful to go through with the video, and even just for all of the projects, especially if you are always staying a step ahead of the video, so you are doing the "workings out" on your own.
    • This is because they just fill in the gaps and they make general points and the guy doing all of my recent projects, Carlos, has been really truly great.
  • I had to use both else/ifs and switch/cases
    • It's been a while
    • else/if's went okay, especially with Matt's help
    • switch/cases were okay
      • I still need to understand that a colon : and not a semi-colon follows each case.
      • I still need to understand also why the break; bit is there
      • I still need to understand the default keyword properly (is there even a colon there/semi-colon)
  • Matt showed me how to define the result of a function as a variable, even if the function itself has been created as a variable in the first place.
You Can Chase Me Now

I didn't do as much coding today as I wanted to but I had a lot of other stuff on. And I'm going to a Codebar workshop tonight. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be working on JS or CSS but it will probably be CSS.

A shop I love is Henry Baker Artwork. He has a whole series of stickers themed around following dreams. My favourite is pictured below - You Can Chase Me Now.

And so I continue chasing my dreams. Even if sometimes that means taking the long and uncomfortable route.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing