Set Yourself on Fire, Part II

Set Yourself On Fire, Part II

"Now come and stand, see the sights and warm your hands, and fan the flame inside of me." - Charlotte Gainsbourg, 'Set Yourself On Fire'

I bought  a book over the weekend and it changed my life. 

I woke up on Saturday, knowing that I needed to go to London, and that I needed to go to Foyles, and that I needed to buy myself a JavaScript book there. So that's exactly what I did. 

I read about Rock Paper Scissors in it. 

And lo and behold, on Sunday, I woke up, and I knew the answer to my Rock Paper Scissors question I had been not only stuck on but distraught over for the past few days. 

What was I doing wrong? I had been trying to put an if/else statement inside of a function. I had spent so long on functions that I had forgotten that you do not actually need to put if/else statements inside of them...



Further Thoughts On RPS

Again, I have been learning with Carlos. Carlos is so, so good. Carlos is so, so, so, so, so, so, so good. I always learn so much from listening to him and listening to him speaking aloud. (Carlos is a Web Developer from Brooklyn who does the Codecademy videos for JavaScript projects).

What I have learned from him today is:

'NESTED IF STATEMENTS'

Nested if statements. 

Nested if statements.

Nested if statements.

Nested if statements.

Nested if statements.

Nested if statements.

Nested if statements.

Nested if statements.

I was trying so, so hard, to put a name, and a label to something, and I couldn't figure out what this was called. But then when I heard Carlos say it aloud, then I knew what the name was: Nested if statements.

if (userChoice = 'rock') {

    if (computerChoice = 'paper'){

        return 'The Computer is the WINNER!!!'

    } else {

        return 'You have WON! YAYYY!!!'

    }

}

Such is a nested if statement.

In the immortal words of Carlos, a nested if statement is just

  • 'an if statement inside of another if statement', and
  • 'we are allowed to list as many if statements inside of each other as we want'.

Rosana has previously told me to make myself JS cheat sheets and I do plan to do this, once I have a lull in my JS learning again (right now, I'm on a ROLLL). 

The Triple Equals Signs ===

I was making a mistake - I was forgetting to put triple === signs in my statements. Important to remember a single = is only used when assigning a name to a function or a variable - at least, in my learning so far - and not when checking if values are actually equal to one another

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing