Feel The Stillness Stripped From The Light

Feel The Stillness Stripped From The Light

The day the Universe told me that I was meant to be a programmer I discovered the song Bamboo by Elder Island properly for the first time.

I ran and danced around Brighton after my conversation with the man who, with 40 years' programming experience, after 2 hours' conversation, said to me "Best of luck with your new career", singing that song and I knew. 

I knew that I would be a Software Engineer. I just didn't know how. But I kew that life would bring to me an adventure as exciting as that song though - for life. That was less than 6 months ago.

Bamboo by Elder Island music video.

And I wasn't wrong - life is bringing me all of this, and then more.

Revising Objects

I:
  • Learned what an Object is
  • Learned what key-value pairs are and what properties are.
  • Learned what an object literal is.
  • Learned about accessing, adding or editing properties via dot notation or bracket notation.
  • Learned about navigating complex, nested objects by chaining operators.
  • Learned about how we can (AND CAN'T!!!) make changes to an Object by a function, and that when we make changes to properties of an object passed into a function (only properties though) those changes are permanent.
  • Looped through objects using for...in syntax (iterated).
The only thing I haven't put clearly on here is functions or methods in objects. But I will do/write more about this tomorrow.

Pass By Reference

Okay, so I have to understand this exciting new concept.

Codecademy Cheatsheets

Okay so before I throw something out of the window because I am so stressed, what do the Codecademy cheat sheets say?

"When JavaScript objects are pass as arguments to functions or methods, they are passed by reference, not by value. 

This means that the object itself (not a copy) is accessible and mutable (can be changed) inside that function". 

Nope that still doesn't make any sense to me at all whatsoever. What next, then? Nooooooo. 

Medium Blog

It talks about "reference by value" but this wasn't explained in the course or in the cheatsheet so I have no idea what really is going on here right now. 

I can confirm that this made absolutely zero sense - NO SENSE WHATSOEVER, at all. I also found another article which plagiarises this one so I skipped that one too. 

I ended up being rescued by one of my colleagues.

But I can't end up saying anything more about it right now. 

It's too... exhausting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing