Phase 09 - Sombrero

Phase 09 - Sombrero

Phase 09 - Sombrero is an amazing new song that I have discovered from Solar Fields.

Totally obsessed with it. 

Totally can't stop dancing to it.

Also, I love music that just makes me DANCE!

When you have no choice but to do dance - when your body just dances in and of itself - then this is the best kind of music.



I am in big big trouble with myself.

I am in big big trouble with myself for not believing in myself more.

For not seeing my gift, my passion, my potential. Life is hard enough anyway. Life is harder when you don't believe in your potential. 

Life is harder when you don't see - well no - when I don't see:
  • How lucky I am. 
    • I quite literally have something in my life that I live for. And I love it so, so, soo much - and it's my job. 
    • It's my ACTUAL DAY JOB.
    • I wanted this more than anything else in the world. And now I've got it.
  • How gifted I am.
    • I have this AMAZING neurodivergent brain which is so good at patterns and so good at numbers. 
    • I can hold so much information in my head and write a program without taking any notes because all of the information is just there and all of the patterns are there and all of the logic is there and it just makes sense as long as I am focused on it.
    • I refuse to apologise for thinking I am brilliant - hopefully me saying so means that you can do so about yourself also.
  • How talented I am.
    • Yep, I said so - I think that I am talented. I really do. 
    • I really think that I am.
    • I have an amazing background as well of renewable energy, of planning, of sustainable planning, of sustainable development - and I have written two 15,000 word masters dissertations. 
We have to appreciate the gifts we have been given and celebrate them and I guess that for me that gift really was software engineering - and a passion and a love for learning.

Form Validation: What Have I Learned Yesterday?

I learned that form validation is very important. It's important to keep our forms secure so that nobody can hack them. 

And I learned that it is also important that we enforce secure passwords for our users.

We also need to make sure that their data is correct e.g. we need to ensure that we have had the correct information submitted e.g. if we need an email to contact the user with then this has to be accurate.

What Have I Learned Today?

So time to move on. 

What have I learned today then?

Client-side Validation

One thing that I have learned so far is: "the client is the process interacting with the server on behalf of a user - in the case of websites, the web browser is the client." 

WOW - I have been trying to figure this out for months ahaha. 

Thanks for telling me, Codecademy! I wish that you had told me sooner. 

"The logic for validating the form is included with the code that displays the form on the user's device". 

"No interaction with the back-end is required to perform client-side validations".

It has two main advantages:

(client-side validation)

  • "It's a better experience for the user to be alerted to problematic data immediately rather than having to wait for that information to come back from the server and have to fill out the form again"
    • Yep totally agree! 
    • As a user myself I would prefer this.
  • And, "catching mistakes earlier in the process saves the application time and resources as well".

Client-side Validation: HTML

MODERN HTML PROVIDES SOME OF THESE VALIDATION FEATURES BUILT IN
  • We can use HTML to make parts of the form required and others optional
  • We can also use HTML to set minimum and maximum lengths for a text input.
  • We can even necessitate that the input match a particular pattern, specific by a regular expression. 
"If any of the rules laid out in the HTML form validation aren't followed, the user will not be able to submit their form, and they'll receive an error message explaining why.

With these checks in place, the back-end is less likely to be sent incorrect data. HTML form validation will also benefit the user - the client provides the user immediate feedback, without having to wait for time-consuming communication with the back-end.

Client-side Validation: JavaScript

NOT ALL ISSUES CAN BE HANDLED WITH BUILT-IN HTML VALIDATIONS

JavaScript form validations:
  • Allow us to truly customise validations, or to
  • perform more complex validations
We can do this either by: 
  • Writing the JavaScript ourselves, or 
  • Incorporating a JavaScript library 
Some of those are simpler than others and if you are using complex usernames on your site you might have to write your own - if your website is quite simple then you could also just use it yourself or just use a simple vanilla js library.

You have to be careful when working with frameworks like React or Vue - they would be best to combine with a library that works with that specific framework.

Coding Mode

I love what I do so much. 

I love what I do so, so much.

I love what I do the most in the world. I love what I do

The most in the whole whole wide world. In the world.

And Do You Know What

I am so so cool. I am the person I always wanted to be. I write cool code while listening to cool music and writing cool blog posts about it. 

I code in - in my opinion - the coolest of the cool coding languages - although there are some app-specific languages out there that I would like to learn...

I am the person I always wanted to be

I am the man I always wanted to date

I love myself.

I love myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing