You're The Best Pilot We Ever Had

You're The Best Pilot We Ever Had


"You're the best pilot we ever had". This is from the magical line in the movie where Coop finds the secret NASA station and finds out he is going into space! πŸ‘ΎπŸ‘ΎπŸ‘ΎπŸ‘½

I'm quoting Interstellar!

I love that line - it inspires me so much. It inspires me to be really thorough in my learning so that I can be the best possible Software Engineer that I can be.

Back-End Validation 

"No matter how complete the front-end validation of a website or application seems, validations must also be completed on the back-end or server side"

It says that:
  • "Front-end validations are easy to bypass - a malicious user can simply turn off JavaScript on their browser, for example". 
  • There's also a potential for "middleman attacks in which data is changed after the requested is submitted by the user but before it arrives at the server". 
    • Huh what?
      • How does that even WORK?
    • I didn't know that that was even POSSIBLE.
  • "As a rule, THE BACK-END should never trust the data it receives."
I LOVE THIS STUFF.

OMG I LOVE THIS STUFF SO SO MUCH.

OMG I LOVE THIS STUFF.

More Random Messy Notes

On Back-End Validation...

  • "AS THE DEVELOPER, ONCE DATA IS IN THE BACK-END, WE HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER IT,  LUCKLY".
  • BACK-END VALIDATION HAS SEVERAL ADVANTAGES.
*

There are two main ways to validate inputs on the server-side.

There are two main ways to validate inputs on the server-side.

There are two main ways to validate inputs on the server-side.

There are two main ways to validate inputs on the server-side.

There are two main ways to validate inputs on the server-side.

*

What are these?

THE FIRST ONE:
  • Takes place while the user is still inputting data into the form on the front-end
  • We can make async requests to the server with pieces of their data
    • And send directly to the user
    • Before they've submitted
  • This is slower than front-end validation
  • It can also be a design challenge from a user-experience perspective
THE SECOND ONE:
  • Is once the form has been submitted
  • Backed-end form validation is: "our application's last defence against problematic data" 
  • And it's essential to verify the validity and safety of our data 
  • Before adding it to a database
  • In this way: 
  • There is also an opportunity:
  • To 'SANITISE' the data
    • In order for our database to be useful:
    • it's important that all data within it is formatted consistently.
  • While we may want to be flexible about the formatting we require from a user, 
    • we likely want to transform inputs into a strict format before entering them in the database.
Do I understand what any of this means? No not really.

Oh wait yes I do - thanks!!!

Coding Mode

Life can be so hard. It can be so hard. It can be so, so, so hard. And

In fact it can be so so messy.

But one thing's for sure: I love what I do. 

I love what I do.

I love what I do.

I love what I do.

I know that I love what I do.

Thank you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing