America

America

"Aw, I'll pick you up, 
If you come back to America, just hit me up
'Cause this is crazy love, I'll catch you on the flip side
If you come back to California, you should just hit me up" - Lana del Rey, "California"



Passion or Coincidence

In a beautiful way, perhaps the most beautiful way, I have come full circle. 

It's been 1 year since I first started coding - in 5 days it's my codeversary.

And I am doing an SQL course. 

In fact the exact one I started 1 year ago.

What is a column?

A column is a set of data values.

It's all the "data values of a particular type". Let's make up an example. 

Let's use my teddy bears.

We could have "ID, Name, Colour, How I got this teddy bear".

What is a row?

A row is a specific thing I guess - I think of it as being like an object in javascript.

So for row one of my teddy bears, we could have:
  • ID - 1
  • Name - "Winnie the Pooh"
  • Colour - "Yellow"
  • How I got this teddy bear - "From the official Winnie the Pooh shop, in Hartfield, the Winnie the Pooh village".

All data has a data type...

... and now I know JavaScript this is so much easier. Integer, Text, Data, Real (a decimal number) - these are some of the most common data types in SQL.

What Is A Clause

A clause is like a command in SQL that is written in block capitals.

SELECT is a clause that indicates that the statement is a query.

You use SELECT every time you query data from a database.

"SELECT statements always return a new table called the result set". (from Codecademy)

ALTER TABLE

"The ALTER TABLE statement adds a new column to a table".

"NULL is a special value in SQL that represents missing or unknown data".

UPDATE 

From Codecademy again: "The UPDATE statement edits a row in a table."

"SET is a clause that indicates the column to edit"

Delete

"The DELETE FROM statement deletes one or more rows from a table. You can use the statement when you want to delete existing records."

Summary of what I have learned so far today.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing