Candles, part III

Candles, part III

I am trying so hard to focus. 

I am trying so hard to focus, I am trying so so hard to focus.

I am trying so hard to focus on my blog and on my passion for software engineering and renewable energy, and on my love for electricity.

I am trying so hard to focus on my blog and on my passion for software engineering and renewable energy, and on my love for electricity.

On the nature of focus

What is making is so hard for me to focus?

What is it that keeps on distracting me? Is it because I feel like I need more in my life and so I fill it with new things only to realise that I wanted to just focus on what it was that I had in the first place?

I am obsessed with laser beams at the moment. They are all about focus.

Candles

Candles by John Hopkins is one of my favourite coding, passion and focus songs.

On the Smart Grid

Our current grid was designed over 100 years ago and was for when people had very very few appliances at home. Moreover it was for a time when electricity was only flowing one way - from the grid into the user's home.

The smart grid is a two-way street. Much much higher electricity flow and communication between the consumer's Electric Vehicle (EV), any home generation devices (DERs), and preferably the smart meter two giving real time readings and updates and more accurate estimates around consumption and usage.

Where does software come into all of this?

So where does software engineering come into all of this? This is the question that I have to ask myself, and that I promised myself I would keep on asking again and again. What kind of tech needs to be built to support the smart grid? I don't understand. I would really, really like to know this.

I have this current webpage I am on right now, and I have loads and loads of articles, but will this be enough? Do I need to Google more specifically? I could ask Chat GPT - but every time I do that I learn NOTHING - I can't retain the knowledge and the information.

I have to produce the knowledge for myself. So what tech is needed for us to build the smart grid?

Do I have to refine this to be the main question of this blog? At least for now anyway.

Okay that sounds good - maybe I will do this. 

OH WAIT

I actually collated 13 articles on exactly this last night 😂 The role of software development in the smart grid. I am sure that this will be more than enough to be starting out with.

I can be silly sometimes! oh gosh.

I am doing this out of love - somebody I really love and cherish very deeply really encouraged me on this path and I want to do it out of thanks to them. Thank you. Thank you so very very much, everlasting, everloving thanks. Everpresent thanks. Thanks. Thank you.

Starting again with a new article

I am strong and powerful. I am resilient. I am resilient. I am resilient. I am resilient. I am brave. 

I can do this.

I can do this.

I can do this.

I can do this.

I can do this.

I can do this.

My focus is on software engineering within the smart grid. My focus is on what software is needed to build up the smart grid. Thank you. Thank you.

Starting again with this article

Let's start off with the first bit. "A challenging decade for utilities" is what it's called. I wonder, do they mean last decade or next? Ah, last.

Please remember I am neurodivergent and sometimes have to break things down for myself.

"A challenging decade for utilities"

It says here that: 

"Changes in the power sector have challenged the stability and safety of the electrical grid."

This has been caused by three different sets of events.
  • The mix of technologies used for production has had many changes.
  • The patterns of demand have changed - people have EVs now and so on.
    • This also includes "smart meter enabled services" - e.g. like 'time of day pricing'.
    • This also also includes "distributed generation" - well then, what does this "distributed generation" mean please? thank you
      • This "distributed generation" means that some of the energy is generated by consumers in the home by themselves - that means that they may have things (DERs) e.g. like solar panels or something - meaning that some of the electricity used comes from the consumer themselves and is internally generated
      • this means that some of the demands for the grid may be changed
  • "An unpredictable climate" - the increasing unpredictability of the climate
    • Highly changing weather reduces the predictability of the grid. Hot weather or natural disasters can manage energy infrastrucutre.
I am especially interested in the first two points really - the change in the mix of technologies used and the changes caused by shifting patterns of demand. 

In addition 

It seems as though grid infrastructure is becoming more and more expensive to maintain! 🔌






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing