On the Nature of Making Your Dreams Come True

On the Nature of Making Your Dreams Come True

I have this beautiful power and I want to use it. I have this blog and this beautiful superpower and I want to use it. My superpower is my passion.

Wind turbines and electricity wires at sunset
A photo my sister took of a French windfarm at dawn. It's my photo of the year!!! 

I have this beautiful passion, and my passion is my superpower, and I just have to focus.

I just have to focus. I just have to focus.

On the Medium article so far

I asked Chat GPT to give me a summary of my 3 last blog posts - one point in particular was particularly interesting:

"Technical Solutions for Grid Stability and Resilience: 
  • Consistent focus on key aspects crucial for grid stability and resilience: grid stability, flexibility, energy storage integration, demand response, load balancing and communication infrastructure."
  • Persistent dedication to researching and understanding these elements while working on related projects.
  • An ongoing commitment to exploring technical interventions, engineering solutions, and software development for improving grid resilience."

Back to the Medium article

"Developing the digital grid"

Maybe this is the bit I have been waiting for? Mmm how interesting.

"Connecting data to grid operations is not easy". Omg how exciting is this the bit that I have been waiting for! Omg could this be the bit that I have been waiting for! Omg yes yes really!!!!?

Developing the digital grid, part 2

There is a very real and very desperate, desperate need for the integration of information sources in this grid. There is a very, very desperate need for the integration of information sources across the grid. For example, "an engineer investigating asset failures might load up the relevant outage in one system, access information on past inspections in another system, and check against planned repairs in a third." This is mad! How is this efficient in any way at all. It goes on to get worse: "yet another system might hold information about budget and finances, making it hard to understand the cost of each intervention and the best way to allocate funds."

And even then if he does do the work then the work becomes irrelevant very quickly because the information gathered was only true at one snapshot of a moment in time.

It seems that Palantir, who are a company I know very little about, have deployed their data platform, 'Foundry', to "provide a digital grid that helps cut back these time-intensive workflows."

And so there we go! Here is one example of how "software engineering can help renewable energy."

But it is also an example of how "digital solutions can help the smart grid."

And remember these are the five things that I want to keep linking back to here:
  1. Grid stability and flexibility
  2. Energy storage integration
  3. Demand response and load balancing
  4. Communication infrastructure
  5. Grid resilience.

Foundry

Foundry "enables information from every part of the grid to be integrated securely in a central data operating system."

It allows for "real-time grid state estimation."

It means that if an error occurs like the one above, then problems can be solved sooner. It allows data to be used that were "previously too technically challenging."

This is one of the reasons why smart meters are important - they allow for real-time live data about electricity demand, that can then be integrated into the grid, through digital solutions such as these. And such is the power of software engineering within the smart grid and as an accelerator tool for renewable energy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing