Tattoo

Tattoo

"Take me, and put me at the heart of the renewable energy transition, and leave me there. Take me, and put me at the heart of the renewable energy transition, and leave me there. For there I must stay."

For There I must stay

My good friend Sheena gave me a notebook and it was a really tiny one and she told me to really think about what I put in it. To really think before I write. 

And so I did. I really thought about it. It was an extra-tiny notebook you see, and so there was not much space, and so I really had to think. And then the words came, they came spilling out of my heart, again and again. Take me. And put me at the heart of the renewable energy transition. And leave me there. For there I must stay.

Tattoo

Tattoo is a song by Loreen and it won Eurovision this year. I love it because it's about saying - I don't care what other people think. I am doing this out of love.
And that is exactly how I feel about the renewable energy transition.

At the Heart of the Renewable Energy transition

I went a bit mad on LinkedIn yesterday. I followed a lot of Smart Grids and Smart Grid Related-businesses. 

I had hoped my feed would become flooded with them but I guess it's early days yet. I still hope to find more and to follow them. I would like to engage with them a bit more often as I really want to see where this could take me.

I signed up for a webinar too - on DER's. It looks really cool. Unfortunately it's during my office Xmas party. As it's in the middle though I'll see - if it gets really overwhelming I'll slip out for an hour. If not then I will re-watch the recording.

As Madonna once said: "don't ever tell me to stop..."

Strong and Powerful Women

I like strong and powerful women. I support them. I celebrate them. I like a lot of strong and powerful female artists.

It took a whole lifetime to realise and see that I am a strong and powerful woman myself. I couldn't see myself for who I really was. 

But now I really know that my strength and power lie in my passion and in my persistence - and in my patience.

And in my love - for what I love.

A woman stands on a podium on a stage in a dramatic pose with her back to us, she is surrounded by steam and is in the spotlights. Loreen performing Tattoo at Eurovision in the dress rehearsals.
Loreen performing "Tattoo" at the second dress rehearsal for Eurovision.

I've overcome a lot in my life to get here and to get to where I am today - but I don't want to think about that anymore. I don't want to dwell on that. I just want to dwell on my love for the wind farms. And I just want to think about my love for the renewable energy transition.

For there I must stay.

Revising

The Grid Edge and Grid Assets

There is a need for greater visibility and control at the grid edge. 

Greater visibility and greater control at the grid edge.

The way that users are consuming electricity is increasing in complexity.

As the more DERs we have (such as solar panels, home turbines, EVs, batteries and smart devices), the greater the need for "real-time monitoring" to "maintain the reliability and the quality" of the grid. Demand management and grid metering solutions from software companies can enhance the collection and itself and the quality of data from the grid edge can help utilities companies to increase customer engagement, thus supporting usage optimisation and demand management. It will also enhance meter operations.

It is also important to note that software solutions can help manage grid assets.

In order to prioritise maintenance actions, utilities companies can use asset management software to: understand the health of their assets, and to understand any risks to their assets. 

This allows for more timely and informed decision making. And then this: maximises crew resources, saves costs, and avoids power outages. And not to forget that asset management software allows utility companies to integrate workflows which have traditionally been siloed. Thus different teams can interact and work together - thus resulting in more effective outcomes.

The growing complexity of technologies

Moreover, there there are more and more data that are become available as a result of growingly complex technologies, e.g. half-hourly (and soon to be even more regular) meter reads.

The current systems to not fully support this just yet. And one way to make things more intelligent is bypass the back-office and to have hardware technologies that are so smart they can act by themselves.

I think this can make sense to an extent. You can have a charger in an EV charging fleet that may know what the other chargers are doing and therefore is able to turn itself on or off depending on what load the LV grid is able to handle. I do agree with this however I am also strongly in support of creating software to process data that can be handled in the back office and presenting it as such that it is real, time-relevant, accessible, and understandable. 

I do not think that there will ever be a time for taking humans out of the mix. And besides someone has to program the stuff as well. We need humans who are able to understand, and analyse, the real data if we are to program intelligent machines that will act on the data. And then we will need people to monitor this and handle the results as well. Are we all just destined to become robots? 

And onto the next one...

I have found a new resource - I think. One that I am really excited to share and analyse. It's been shared by a really lovely person on LinkedIn - and here it is! An article on software solutions and the renewable energy transition. I haven't read over it yet but it looks promising - and it even mentions the smart grid.

Everything I do, I do it for you.

Some really wonderful people have inspired me on this blog. I want them to know that everything I do, I do it for them as much as I do for myself. And hopefully, I do it for the good of the whole planet. Thanks.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 💚🤗🌲 Thanks.

For there I must stay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing