Cypress Testing

Cypress

I don't understand anything.

It's a testing framework. I am using this blog post as a tool so that I don't go mad. I am watching a video on it right now. Cypress is "A tool for RELIABLY testing ANYTHING that runs in web browser." Cypress is "completely tech stack agnostic." Cypress is "free and open source". Wow that is so cool. It is free. Cypress has a really nice mission behind it. "Any time spent learning Cypress is time well spent."

Cypress Testing

The Absolute Best Testing Tool For the Industry

The developers at Cypress have a laser sharp focus for creating the best possible tool for the industry.

Installing Cypress

npm install -D cypress

I dunno if I need to do this or if workplaces install it for you. You get both a desktop app and a ... CI pipeline? I dunno I missed that. Y U SO HARD CYPRESS.

Time Travelling

Cypress allows you to time travel through your tests. Whatever that means. You can see all the "Actions that your tests took". My manager spoke to me about time travelling this morning. This makes a lot more sense now.

Cypress API

I gave up on the video. 

40 minutes is too long and it was too hard for me to watch. I lasted 8.

Back to the docs

Debuggability

One of the things that makes Cypress good is its debuggability. It allows you to debug things quicker. THEY SAY that they make their "errors" and "Stack traces" more readable. Thank GOD. I normally find errors so hard to read omg.

Automatic Waiting

"Never add waits or sleeps to your tests". Cool story bro.

"No more async hell." Okay. Yeah. Sure. Whatever. Thanks.

"Cypress AUTOMATICALLY WAITS for commands and assertions before moving on." Sure. Thanks. Bye. Did I ever mention I hate reading? 🤣

Spies, Stubs, and Clocks

GOODBYE. IDK WHAT THIS IS.

"Verify and control the behaviour of functions, server responses, or timers." 

"THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY YOU LOVE FROM UNIT TESTING IS RIGHT AT YOUR FINGERTIPS." 

Hold on. That sounds like a New York Fashion Week Advert. 

A fashion advert is repurposed to include the above quote about testing. The colour is pastel pink.
I am sorry. I got bored. I am so sorry.

I still don't understand anything but yeah that's fine. Whatever. I know what unit testing is - cos I have done it before. 

HERE'S TO THE WIND FARMS. I am doing it for them.

Network Traffic Control

It talks about "Stubbing" tests. Idk WTH that is.

It tells me that I can "easily control, stub, and test edge cases." Without involving my server. Um okay then. Thanks. Bye. 💖

Consistent Results

"Say hello to fast, consistent and reliable tests that are flake-free."

Screenshots, Videos, and Test Replay

"View screenshots taken automatically on failure, or videos, if enabled, of your entire test suite when run from the CLI." You can watch videos? Huh what? This is so cool. You can record videos specially of your testing things...

Cross Browser Testing

"Run tests within Firefox and Chrome-family browsers locally". You can run them "optimally" - and "in a Continuous Integration pipeline."

Smart Orchestration

I am so lost. It's 5pm and it's late. Bye.

Test types

There is a section on "test types". But no time for this today.

An Exercise For Me To Do On Next Monday

Here it is. Maybe alone and if I get blocked then I might have a mentoring session.

There you are, in my heart, shine on 💖

This is an opportunity. This is an opportunity. And I am so so grateful for it. Thank you.

Learning Resources I Need 💖

  • Creativity
  • Interactivity 
  • Accountability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing