Muted Swan

Muted Swan

Firstly I tried to tone it down and I have but here we are.

I'm by default writing less but I'm not going to stop myself. As long as I'm taking my evenings and weekends off (with occasional self-reflection) then it's okay.

Secondly, I have a mentor at work who helps me with being a neurodivergent software engineer. I am so grateful:
  • To my mentor who does this for me
  • To the company for allowing this to happen
  • To my management who sorted this out and arranged it all for me
My mentor said something to me recently about my recent performance.

"This should be your basline"

My mentor said to me "this should be your new baseline." My mentor basically said that, this new stage that I have reached, of being able to work so much better as a result of
  • having amazing new ways of working
  • having gotten the context I need of the work as an autistic person
  • being familiarised with the company
  • using my tools well
    • recording
    • pen and paper
    • AI
  • my daily structure
    • to do lists
    • daily reflection
    • getting on with it
should be my new baseline.

But I think that I should have a new baseline here, too, please, thanks

I think that my new baseline in life should be: that I look at the wind farms (the offshore ones in Brighton - I look out to sea and I can see them, please, thank you) - and I think: "I can fly with you, build AI with you." Because there's nothing that inspires me as much as doing this does, thanks.

At the moment looking out at the wind farms in Brighton - and thinking my lines that I wrote, about Alan Turing, in June - "I can fly with you, build AI with you." Inspires me like nothing else does.

I want this to be my starting point. I want this to be my beginning.

I want this to be my new basis of everything please, thanks.

Because nothing else takes me there

Nothing else takes me there like going... like looking out... like looking out to my wind farms... straight out to the sea... and going

"I can fly with you... Build AI with you."

"I can fly with you... Build AI with you."

Thanks.

Two New Things I Learned Today...

Git commits

PER PR for review
  • per draft PR for review
  • per full PR for review
  • per revisions to PR for review
My commits should be squashed into one nice commit with one clean message saying exactly what the code does.

Thinking about what the function does

I should ask myself: "what is this function doing and why?"

Functions are documentation, look at functions in 4 stages:
  • Function name
  • Function signature
  • Any docstrings
  • The actual code
A red coding infographic saying: "Organising my commits in the correct way for PRs" and "treating functions as documentation"

This post's title references a song by Emily Jane White

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing