Codex: What Are HTTP Headers?

Codex: What Are HTTP Headers?

After they came up on a call and I didn't understand what they were I was advised to go away and watch some videos about HTTP headers.

Now as you all know it is impossible for me to watch a video without writing notes on it so here we are. 

Btw "Codex" is a song by the PHENOMENON Joel Sunny, please expect many more posts named after his music.

What is a header in an HTTP request?

So according to Chat GPT (I watched one video and got lost but will try another in a sec), headers "tell the server" things like:
  • Your identity
  • The type of request you want
  • The format you want your response in
Except that because it's me I have got Chat GPT talking about magical kingdoms... of course, naturally.

Different types of headers

  • Request headers: Tell the server about you and your request
  • Response headers: Tell you how the server is responding

A beautiful picture of dragons with scales and a dragon egg. Text reads: Headers in HTTP requests ... with dragons

Omg so many dragons... in my analogy... yes yes yes thank you. Look: 

An example of a test with a dragon emoji explaining different types of headers

And it gets even better wait:
An example of a dragon asking prince charming for a treat

YouTube Video

I am watching a YouTube video, it is soooo good. I really really like this lady - she's  so niiiiiiiiiiiice. This lovely video explains that:
  • APIs are like information or knowledge transferred from one person to another inside of envelopes
  • Headers are like too and from addresses on an envelope - wow
  • Headers are like metadata for the content that is inside
  • It says there are two more types of headers than Chat GPT said - payload headers and representation headers
Apparently all headers are key value pairs...

I could've watched more but after 3 minutes I got the general idea that I needed so better to wrap up and go on lunch soon before my next meeting - especially as I have to ask Chat GPT one more thing about what my boss said later on - thanks.

Back to Joel Sunny, just for a minute

I just love his music videos. They are so beautiful. In fact I promised myself a re-watch of Luminary as a reward for watching a video.

Good thing it's lunchtime... 🫶 🥰 thank you for this beautiful and magical and lovely learning experience, I love learning so so so so much, thank you 🫶

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World

Yosemite

Two Lines of Thought, Makes Me Wonder What I'm Missing